- Mentor Training – 19th February 2013
- Transition Day – 26th February 2013
- SLAM Lunches – Week 2 & 4
1. OPENING AND WELCOME
2. APOLOGIES AND LEAVE OF ABSENCE
3. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
From the AGM held on the 18th of September.
4. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
6. MOTIONS ON NOTICEClause 2.2 part (a) be extended to include the addition of an “Annual Cruise” “a dinner dance to be named Bucky Ball”, an additional “Trivia Night” and monthly bake sales with profits going to charity. Clause 4.4 be altered from “Monthly” to “Fortnightly” Clause 5.3 be altered to: a. Maintain the Society’s finances in accordance with the Treasurer’s Handbook produced by the Clubs & Societies office of the University of Sydney Union. b. Present to the annual General Meeting of the society a detailed report detailing financial activity and status of the society.
i. Present the Unaudited Income & Expenditure Statement and the
Bank Reconciliation at the Club’s Annual General Meeting, otherwise known as the Treasurer’s Report. The Club’s Committee should
adopt the Income & Expenditure statement once audited at a
later date.c. Report to the executive committee as requested regarding the society’s finances d. Ensure an adequate handover, including any documents and materials, to the following executive. Clause 6.1 be altered to remove and further include the following: a. The executive members outlined in clause 4 b. 2 Sports Directors (1 Male, 1 Female) c. 2 Editors for the Society’s Publication “Aqua Regia” d. 2 Publicity Officers e. 2 Social Directors f. A First Year Officer g. A Welfare (SRC Liaison) Officer h. A Bookstore Manager i. An Information Technology Officer j. A Sponsorship Officer k. A First Year Committee consisting of 3 or more First Year students Clause 6.2 to be added to define the duties of the Executive Committee as follows: Clause 6.2b The Sports Officers shall:
- Promote and encourage member participation in interfaculty sport events in consultation with the society
- Organise teams to compete in interfaculty sport
- Attend sports events run by the society
- Liaise with Executive members ensure all roles of the society are integrated6.2c The Aqua Regia Editors shall:
- Write for the society’s regular publication, the Aqua Regia
- Edit the society’s publication
- Distribute the society’s publication
- Facilitate the aims of the Aqua Regia
- Publish submissions from members of SciSoc executive committee and other contributors with purpose of communicating with ordinary society members6.2d The Publicity Officers shall:
- Increase awareness of the society and its events through creation and distribution of posters and handouts, lecture announcements, online media, the society’s newsletter and others
- Design posters promoting major annual events
- Manage and update the website, Facebook pages, and other relevant online pages.
- Writing articles and posts to make sure these pages have regular new content.
- Assist with writing and distributing the newsletter6.2e
The Social Directors shall:
- Plan, organise and host events for all society members, including major annual events, as well as smaller events and charity events
- Investigate availability, pricing, capacity, equipment and catering of venues for major events
- Decide specific details of major events, including event size, themes, dress code, menu, et cetera.
- Correspond with the professional events coordinators and venue staff for major annual events
- Select and finalise dates and times for events with coordinators
- Manage ticket sales for all ticketed events6.2f The First Year Officer shall:
- Work in conjunction with the executive to organise Orientation Week activities
- Organise First Year Camp to be held in the first fortnight of Semester 1
- Liaise with the Faculty of Science in organising Transition events and lunches
- Facilitate the organisation of the First Year Committee.6.2fg The Welfare Officer shall:
- Advocate for the equitable treatment of all society members
- Assist in mediating disputes
- Liaise with the SRC and Sydney University Student Support Services
- Provide querying members with referrals for mental health, financial aid and student services6.2h The Bookstore Manager shall:
- Organise a roster for the bookstore during the first month of each semester.
- Ensure that all volunteers are adequately trained in bookstore transactions
- Ensure that all clients are paid at the end of the period.
- Perform a stocktake of the contents of the store to supplement the audit at the end of the year.6.2i The IT officer shall:
- Support the IT infrastructure of the society
- Maintain the WordPress Blog with relevant middleware,
- Manage the domain subscriptions and
- Improve the efficiency of processes, where possible.6.2j The Sponsorship Officer shall:
- Seek out prospective sponsors and produce material for distribution.
- Organise meetings for the executive to showcase the Science society to said sponsors.
- Write sponsorship contracts, to be signed by the President and company representative.6.2k The First Year Committee shall
- Plan, organise and host small events that cater to the interests of new ordinary members of the society in first year
- Liaise with executive members and committee for assistance with planning and administration of events
- Assist executive committee members with hosting major events and ticket salesClause 6.1 to be altered to include l. A Queer Officer m. Outreach Officer Clause 6.2l shall be added to read: The Queer Officer shall:
- Cater to the needs of queer-identifying students within the Society.
- Serve as a point-of-first-contact for queer ordinary members who are suffering from discrimination, either from academics, faculty staff, or in general.
- Aid in the welfare of queer ordinary members who are suffering from discrimination.
- Liaise with the relevant member of the Faculty to address any grievances related to academic or general staff members of the Faculty.
- Liaise with the relevant member of the executive/committee to address any grievances related to members of the Society.
- Serve as a medium between queer students and organizations such as ACON, Twenty10, et cetera.
- Cooperate with the USU Queer Coordinator, the SRC Queer Officers, and Queer Officers of other faculty societies (eg. SULS, SASS, etc.) to:
o Foster an environment of acceptance and safety within the University.
o Plan, manage, and execute queer-friendly and queer-focused events.
- Address the potential issues facing queer-identifying graduates entering the scientific profession.Clause 6.2m shall be added to read: The Outreach Officer shall: - Increase awareness for Outreach, through publicity in the Aqua Regia, society newsletter, and other appropriate media. - Spearhead whatever outreach SciSoc normally does - Look into any events that can be done in regards to Outreach Clause 10.1 be altered to include the amendments outlined in Clause 6, section 1, part ‘i’ 10.3 be altered from “outgoing committee” to “executive of society” Any further ramifications outlined in clause ten (10) section three (3) will continue as outlined in 2008 constitution. 11.1c. shall be altered to read: The Secretary has given at least fourteen (14) days notice of of these proposed changes to all members …
7. ELECTIONAn election to fill the position of IT Officer, currently vacant.
8. REPORTS OF EXECUTIVE
9. OTHER REPORTS
10. GENERAL BUSINESS
11. OTHER BUSINESS
12. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
13. CLOSE OF MEETING